Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Charge on, charge on Bradley…. (my school’s song)

No my wife’s name isn’t Bradley and we have only one charge card and it’s under lock and key from me.
There has to be a problem with a university that makes it into the sweet 16 (round ball) and also graduates a person that can’t put things down on paper in a proper manor, yours truly.
It’s been 45 years since the spring day that my father and I paid a visit to Bradley University’s vice president of student affairs.
His name was Frenchie Hassler one of dad’s old high school buddies. Prior to this through many years of schooling, one to many, all of my teachers liked the effort I put into class work. The only problem was the effort’s outcome. So here we were in Doctor Hassler’s office with humility in hand as my father almost begged his old pal to look the other way and let me in as a freshman. Pop assured Frenchie that I’d toe the mark. We had our fingers crossed.
We left that afternoon with an admissions statement and a green freshman beanie parked on my head…. After five years and many a varsity round ball game, I felt like Midshipman John McCain at his graduation, relieved. 1,800 student names were read before mine and only a few afterwards.
At the time there were many schools that didn’t look after there own ( Parsons?) But not Bradley University. Freshman guys had to live in dorms and had hours and there were study halls on Saturday mornings for those that needed an extra shove. The school’s staff felt that if they took you in, then there was a partnership in getting you graduated and not flunked out too dig foxes in Vietnam. However, if was a betting man 45 years ago I would have bet against myself but not our basketball team, they did that.

Charge on, charge on Bradley

6 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What took you so long???? I'd been expecting this.

"Putting things down in the proper manor (sic)"......funny.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Up North said...

I must be true to my school. Bradley offered an enlighten education as well as social graces found in many of the high class saloons in Peoria

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Bradly ever have a football team.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Up North said...

Yes we had football! we even had players (2) in the NFL, then the powers to be droped Football my senior year and the whole jock depart has tanked for the last 40 years, 40 years? it can't 40, what happened? did the world pass through a worm hole?

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... How many Big Ten teams left in the NCAA? How many MVC teams. Billy Packard, genius among analysts, hmmmm.... Maybe Bradley will follow the Dave Fry Red Sox (See the ring?) and the Tom Brown White Sox(See his sox?) and make history by winnning a Championship Trophy after a span of years longer than Howard. It was not nice to dis Parsons! The only six and a half year education that forced the school to close and seel out to the Maharisha and his people. Thank God, you didn't disrepect any women today-- just Huntski!!

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some colleges were founded to educate students, isn't that a strange thought? What did you take? Liberal arts? How come there isn't a course on conservative arts? For myself I took moderate arts. After leave the library booking for a hard one I'd head to the Hitching Post and have a moderate beer of three.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home