Friday, June 16, 2006

Demo Clubs….
I went into our Golf Pro Shop and asked if I could hit several of the new big mega-drivers. Our Pro carries five brands. So out to the practice range I went with a huge bucket of balls and five drivers. The thought in mind was to find the right straw in the pile of pins. There has to be a club out there that will straighten out a monster slice that I’ve refined over the last 30 years.

I even took along a note pad and pencil.
This was to be a scientific logical test and I wanted to hit five balls per club and record each swing and where the ball went. The pro even gave me a tip on how to hit a straight one. He told me to try to use the same type of swing on each shot with each club.

So I hit five balls with each and made notes on each hit. Then I repeated the process for good measure. One of the clubs was even designed to overcome a slice problem (balls that head due right). I didn’t even look at the brand before hitting, only afterward. There were different lofts the angle of the club face that either sends the ball higher of lower. Then there are different flexes in the club shafts depending on your strenght and speed of swing. This is getting complicated ! Here the one truth of golf ...you get on the practice range and things come together then you get on the course and things fall apart, sounds like life itself?

I was actually sweating after the 4th series of hits. I then returned the clubs went into the Pro Shop demo bag and ordered a beer to review my note…….
Conclusion: it’s not the golf club but the golfer that’s the problem. So as I play my next game, I still must remember to yell out "FOUR" after each drive for I always practice safe club and use a club cover.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just save some nice clubs for the fryguy please since I need all the help I can get.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Coleman golf warning call is: FORE!

The number of beers you had to review your notes were: FOUR!

Trust but verify.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home