Friday, January 27, 2006

#4 travelogue …… an Empty BAG 1/27/06

As a mid-winter break we hit the road heading south. It was a sad and happy trip.
My dear wife spent a considerable amount of time packing this and that of her “stuff”. I spent most of my time plotting our course, roads to be taken and length of stay and where.

The week before time dragged, but the morning came to depart. I threw stuff in my bag, we dropped our Springer off in doggie jail, and headed south. First stop was with my brother and his wife’s little farm outside of Milwaukee. We had the usual Wisconsin Friday night fish fry at the local saloon and chatted about old times. At this point in our lives the only thing we have is old.

We hit the road early heading to Glen Ellyn, IL. This was the sad part as we attended a dear friend’s father’s memorial service. His father almost made it to 100. No this wasn’t the sad part. The sad part was that half way down to road I realized I’d forgotten a down vest as well as the novel I was reading.

The service wasn’t sad for my friend’s father left behind a large loving family. It actually was a bright spot in their family’s recent history, while I on the other hand had left behind several valuable items. We had two other family stops to make in Omaha and Kansas City. Over the next five days I left behind other VALUABLE items.

My son, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law are now in the process of mailing all the stuff that I left scattered around the Midwest. I had left with a 45 pound travel bag and returned with an 8 pounder… yes it’s brain fade. Stay tuned for the February edition of Travelogue …To be continued.

3 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not next pack your bag and just leave it home?

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bite what is a typical Wiconsin Fish fry? deep fried cheese?

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was your plan for Social Security in your bag? That fellow must have been having a hot flash. Public pension plan are available mot just for Sens and Congs, they are also available for 98% of all public workers - teachers, police, fire,maintenance. Plus add in their ability to carry over vacation,sick and personal day and voila!! This has been going on for some time.Who cares? Beautiful grandaughters are more important. Skoal!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home