Monday, January 30, 2006

ASSISTING OUR WILD LIFE… 1/30/06

What a delight it is to sit by our lakeside window having breakfast, looking out and watching the small birds fly to our feeder. There are all types of birds that are out of their minds spending the winter in the north and rather than in Miami Beach. Nuthatches and chickadees are some of my favorites. We also have black, gray and red squirrels that are driving me up the walls.

Last fall I upgraded our feeder to a “Squirrel Proof’ brand thinking this would stop them from depleatin the feeder in 30 seconds. There are numerous design engineers out there (2) that have gotten big bucks configuring a bullet-proof feeder.
Many of you know a squirrel’s brain is a lot smaller then that of a MIT grad’s brain. So why can’t someone come up with a design that keeps the squirrels at bay?

Not only that, late last fall I was coming home one night, I will not say from where, and I heard a loud nose in the front side of the cabin, where our bird feeder is stationed. Thinking it was squirrels again at the feeder I walked (stumbled) alongside the cabin to shoe then away, great thinking? Then in the dark I saw a large pair of eyes looking back at me… a black bear! He or she was just as shocked as I was and we both headed in opposite directions, I to inside the cabin and the bear up a tree. Before bed I thanked the stars that I didn't go dancing with the bear into the wood.

Next morning I witnessed the bear’s late night forage. Our new feeder was in many parts and the feeder’s metal post looked like a corkscrew. To solve your own squirrel problems I have a bear for rent...…

8 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many people who overindulge "see things".........squirrels become bears.......bears, elephants and so forth.

Aren't bears hibernating at this time of year? Must be a global warming deal--or a colemandeal. But again, I digress.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Up North said...

Careful..... read again it was a late Fall night... actually bears are on the even in winter esp in Chicago!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...scanning too quickly. But, then, "actually bears are on the even in winter esp in Chicago!" needs some refinement and/or explanation.

But again, I digress.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bears on the even only applies to their gambling situation against Carolina. Oops, bookies sucked some people in - Howard? Late fall finds old Min Bats almost hibernating while real bears want to dance, drink Morgan and play Golden Tee. The hate to fly fish for trout cuz they always forget to rezip

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust but varify

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh?

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bears hate to fly fish cuz of fear of failure to rzip and ergo -- exposure. Yo old Min Bats "It's no big thing" Have verified with Queens of Northern and Southern water. ho hum ... Luckily the Nidwest does not have to deal with teen weeny, so to speak

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is what the ov'r the hill gang does to fill the void between Whitman nights. I am really impressed by the degree of thoughtful discourse. I'm also in favor of global warming if it means no morning backache from moving the crystalized white stuff. Up North, just think only 116 days (or is it daze) till dock time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home