Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The road home…
Everyone has one, the path home. It’s been trod many a time, so many that you could almost drive it blindfolded. There is a bump here, a curve there but you’ve got it cold. If you had a dollar every time you’ve been down that curvy lane you could have retired for life.

It’s just like you, the old road has needed resurfacing for a few years, a little wear is starting to show, a few chuck holes in need of repair. And just like you in your youth, the road was a 'thin' narrow path that bumped along. But now they've made it "wider" and it's well run over. But never mind, maybe you should take it a little slower. A little more care is needed to make it to your safe harbor…

Where is this all headed? Yesterday, I was driving home down our local road that is blueprinted into my memory. I was lost in thought (no, not quite talking with myself, Dave) and a herd of white tail deer decided to mate with the bumper(s) of our new car.

I did a ‘this and that’ just missing the rear end of the first deer and splitting the uprights between four other deer. In Lambeau Field it would have been good for three points, or if a Highway Patrol officer was in view thee points on my license… or if on the racetrack at Elkhart Lake it would have taken first place in a soccer mom minivan class.

Don’t ask me how I missed having to explain to our insurance guy how I messed up both ends of our new car. Once again blind luck played its part and knowledge of local terrain had nothing to do with the near miss. The only witnesses to my highly developed driving skill were four tick-infested deer and they aren’t talking.

3 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - why are bar stools advertised on your blog site? Do the people in the background who run this site know you that well?
Invite them to the grand opening of the purple dock! We'll tell them more about you!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Up North said...

The is in question for I just notice that I lost a few of the important parts. It maybe a little shorter this year as everything esle is.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The breakfast conversation was wonderful. We cannnot wait to arrive up north and behold the purple dock, withe tailed deer in shock,the roof inside Whitmans still up, Winger listening to Gretchen and a wockin wobbin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home