Monday, June 23, 2008

What comes down must go up…
well, maybe. econ Lesson #3

We have this monster oak tree in our back yard.. God put it there on the third day of creation. The thing is older than time. As a kid 40 years ago a thought thing was ¾ dead and ready for our fireplace. Back then I thought my Dad was going to cut it down but no. He didn’t have the tools nor the ability to bring it down without nailing our cabin, his car or one of his fine sons.

I’ve thought about bring it down it myself but no for I too lack the brains to bring it down. So over the years it just sits there doing it’s thing… making a mess of leaves and acorns. Presntly the wood peckers are after it for the bugs. Every morning they can be heard grinding away inside it.

We had very high winds last night and I heard a loud crack than a loud thump. I thought for sure the thing had met it’s maker. But it was just a very large branch from the old oak. There it stood with one less branch. It got me to think about things that stand the test of time. Things that people in one form or another grind away at… our constitution, morals, human rights and A T&T. That’s right Ma Bell.
The company had many of it’s limbs cut off by Uncle Sam for people said, “Oh, it’s too Big.” Like our oak the company was under attack but it still stands up right today making a profit for it’s shareholders defing the boys on capital hill.

I guess like all things that survive, people, companies and countries, you have to bend a little in the wind.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you a kid 20 years ago? I guess that's what we all thought. But, you were fully developed a dozen years previously, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home