Thursday, February 02, 2006

Back in the days….. 2/2/06

Remember when… Cokes were a nickel, comics were a nickel, Saturday movies were a quarter, a Dairy Queen was beautiful? The old good days…things were a lot cheaper way the heck back then. The price of gasoline? Don’t make me cry …none us wants to remember the price of a gallon of gas - 35 cents! You can’t even buy a 1970’s men’s polyester leisure suit from our resale shop for 35 cents.

It may seem cheap, gas at 35 cents a gallon, but remember we really had to bust our butts for a buck back then. Now if a clerk hands you pennies back in change you’re affronted. Get this…. our high esteem of value has devalued our values.
Put simply…“cheap things cost more” even at Walmart. As for expensive things, what isn’t?.

I just bought a US saving bond for a new grandchild because back in the day that’s what my grandparents did for me. The denomination wasn’t huge, triple digits, and then I started thinking about current values and where they will be when my grandchild cashes in the bond at a bank. Will the teller no look at her like I looked at the clerk that handed a few pennies in change?

In short, it’s just like birthdays and get well cards; it’s the thought that counts. I’m thinking I’d better double up on the bond I just sent., don’t want to be known as grandpa Scrooge.
Oh, Happy birthday…brother! a day late.

P.S. I’ve been meaning to brighten up this blog site with a few choice Pix’s from American’s Dairyland but we either are out of cows or I can’t remember what my daughter told me about transferring pictures. So daughter please respond in kind…

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Rosebud write this blog comment today?

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dad, to post a picture, go to "Create Post". Above the place where you type text, there's a set of buttons. The rightmost button looks like a picture. Click on it. Pick the picture by clicking on Browse. Click Upload Image. There you go. Good luck

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Up North said...

Thank you C.... I'll write it down if I can find a pencil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home