Wednesday, February 15, 2006

You have a HOBBY? I won’t tell.

Once a year I take out my art box. Ya, art box. Don’t laugh it’s what got me through school and put bread on the table. The old art box has pen and ink, pencils and art paper, charcoal sticks and even pastels, all the things to draft pretty pictures of our landscape or beer cans.

At one time I was able to draw a straight line and walk one as well. I even got past the point of connecting the dots and coloring by numbers. For quite a few years my creative juices were flowing commercially. There were ad layouts that would blow the socks off clients who in turn made some bucks selling “STUFF”. Then I hit the wall, burnout. This was followed shortly there after by the advent of computer design and the ship left port without me.

But now dear friends the juices are once again flowing. Deep inside, I am urged to create something, or it could be gas? I’ve just got to remember where I put my art supplies or did I drop them off at our Thrift Shop? Anyway I go through this thing once a year just like the bears that come out of hibernation then trash my bird feeder.

So anyway I am developing a new hobby, it’s thinking I should have a hobby.

4 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think body painting at the local Hazelhurst adult shop would be big!

After all, you can let your (um) creative juices flow and the commute is short.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom restarted painting at the age of 61. Gave her great fun, solitude and kept her creative juices flowing. PLUS if you set up a studion in Kent's old apartment, there would be no room for an "art director" or a dog. Hmmmm... something to think about. Sometimes afterburn relaces burnout

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art is a right brain activity, which stimulates the production of endorphins, the body's own natural healers. Science has proven that the production of endorphins lowers blood pressure and reduces anxiety. In addition, the process of creating art increases range of motion and fine motor skills.
Plus there are the emotional and spiritual benefits of art:
Self-esteem can be raised through the integration with and contribution to, the betterment of community through the arts.
Now...what to do with the left-side of the brain.....

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, if only you were right handed you would be producing enough endorphins to reach the left side of your body thereby enabling you to continue unadulterated artwork, course, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, ergo... you may well chop off your rightside (Van Gogh) ear. Darn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home