Friday, March 24, 2006

Another stick of wood….

Two summers ago my boy was home from flying over Iraq sand dunes and I roped him into splitting a monster pile of firewood. Not simple stuff like pine or poplar, but red oak, the hard stuff. I had a tree removal firm come and take down four huge oaks.

I’d spent the week before his return cutting the trees into manageable lengths, 2-man butt busters. I run to town renting a hydric log splitter the evening before my son came for a relaxing weekend.

After he unpacked that night I mentioned I had a small task for us to do in the morning and would he help? "Sure Pop" he said and bright and early the next morning I showed him the huge log pile and give him some gloves. Ten hours later he asked if we could take a break, he had wanted to go water skiing and cool off in the water. He was hardly able to hang onto the ski rope.

The following day we finished splitting and piling the wood. It was another ten hours of sweat.It was amazing the amount of firewood we’d made. The huge pile was a good 5 years worth! 6 full cords.

I am now looking out the window at our woodpile that has almost disappeared after 2 burning seasons. I am also wondering what incentive I can offer him into roping him into helping me this year.

Lollypops just don’t do the trick anymore.

6 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend some type of entry fee to the Camp Coleman complex. Proceeds could be used to purchase wood. Any excess funds would be used for a Captain party.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or... promose him leftovers of Prime Rib Stew and american fried potatoes wtih onions and cheese... or... special goodies from the Whale that cannot be consumed within 3hrs...or...a trip to Ecuador where he could be tied for the tallest man in the country... or free typing and spelling classes from Wobbin and Tom

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or... promose him leftovers of Prime Rib Stew and american fried potatoes wtih onions and cheese... or... special goodies from the Whale that cannot be consumed within 3hrs...or...a trip to Ecuador where he could be tied for the tallest man in the country... or free typing and spelling classes from Wobbin and Tom

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Up North said...

Wait a minute, who is messing up my blog site?

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double your pleasure, double your fun. What good is a tale if you can't peal off the bark on a Friday during Lent?

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Provide hard hats and yellow police tape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home