Thursday, August 31, 2006

Who forgot what?

Labor Day… it’s almost what the name implies. It should be Labor Day hour. Right next to us down the shoreline is my neighbor my brother(s). On Monday of the Labor Day weekend it’s the annual Bert and Ernie show. My brothers wait till the last second to take out the lake side stuff.

Stuff being dock, shore station, and tons of water toys. It’s an event that has to be viewed from afar to be fully appreciated. Close up you’d go deaf. Other family members and friends who have happen upon this event are left in amazement.

As the curtain rises on the cast of characters which include my two younger twin brothers -the grunt boys, an older brother - the wise old sage and yours truly – the brain of the outfit we see them wrestling with the outer sections which have sunk into the silt a good 2’. Women and child in the neighborhood wear ear mufflers for many an F bomb is dropped.

There are also many of the a "throw me a wrench" requests as it drops into 6 feet of water. Also, a few "I wouldn’t do that’s"…" but I already did's." and "you set that 500 lbs. section on my foot, dang-her hay!"
I think you get the picture. Pan-damn-moan-I um.

Then bang… silence for all the kids are headed down US 51 and back to school. There are usually four or five phone calls from family members asking to see if they forgot the this and that but that’s the kick off of our fall season and the closing of our summer "family camp" and a little sadness.

1 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

then there is the saga of Robin's dock.

all the interesting/rusted and each unique nuts and bolts along with Robin's 1930's tool collection.

the bi-annual promises of a bolt upgrade and the same old cracked ice cream bucket residual nut and bolt repository...

"wastin' away in Hoosierville, looking for that long lost 9/16 inch bolt" Robby Buffett floats thru my mind as we attempt to pound square thingeys into round holes.

think of the process as a maritime opposite of Penske Racing w a bit of Johnsonville thrown in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home