Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Heaven forbid…
This Sunday I have to get up in front of a large group of people, 12, and explain the subject matter of a series of stain glass windows that I designed for our new church.
This will be like going to the dentist or accompanying Fred to Mayos… I’d rather be in Philadelphia. I mean for crying out loud, how do you explain abstract art? Or that the Sun isn’t the center of the universe, everyone knows its Disney World.

So I took some liberties with the window subject matter. Its called symbolism and an artist’s creative liberty. Inside my designs are many things of wonder. However they are all apart of God’s universe. i.e. the Packer logo, a tic-tack-toe game board, a computer screen, the ying and yang sign, a flying cow, a rattle snake, poison ivy,
a wood tick, and a mosquito.

What do any of these items have to do with the old of new testament? As my older brother would say, “That’s a very good question!” But there is an answer, you’ll just have to give it a little thought or come to the grand unveiling of the windows next Thanksgiving. However, I wouldn’t walk by them on the outside walkway, would you trust my workmanship?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home