Tuesday, December 04, 2007


Cornish and I don’t mean hen.
I am bullish on corn.

It’s the state I am from, Korn, and I just can’t get it out of the old blood stream.
I've lived most of my life chasin’ wood ticks off my dog and splitting wood for winter fires up here in the northland. But you can take the boy from Iowa but not Iowa from the boy. No, the land corn stalks isn’t as flat as you would think, Dave. Only parts of it.

Rosebud’s families, both sides, are from the corn state and were farmers for generations back. I only happened to be born in Iowa due to the fact that my folks were happening through Iowa in covered wagons heading east?? My folks always seemed to go against the flow. Up is down and right is left.

This past summer was our annual trip back to the Hawkeye state for Rosebud’s family reunions. This annualreunion brings back all of her thousands of cousins. The result??? With all this weight in one spot, it has caused the earth to tip so say the learned scientists from Ames. “The earth has become‘unbalanced’ thus there is a lot more hot air over Iowa causing global warming.”

Back at the reuion... “Robin, you remember cousin Waldo.” it’s a demand not a question from Rosebud. Oh, sure I can remember the names of half the state’s residents and thousands of other cousins that have return for the big event. The problem is that each has brought a “dish” to pass for a very LIGHT luncheon. This in its’ self is enough to cause global warming or solve our neural gas shortage.

So here we are in a small town hall just west of Death Moines, Iowa and it 100 degrees thankfully the air is working and I have a supply of Rolaids. It’s been going on 40 years these family reunions and it’s amazing how many of Rosebuds cousins I can recognized but can’t remember their names. Or, it the advancing years?
Next year we all are going to carry around name with “I am with her or him” with an arrow just like this family gathering on a San Diego beach.

Oh, well the day was short and we headed down the road west to another adventure but I can’t remember where we were headed, maybe on the next blog?

3 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like the family after our Thankdgiving turkey mashing.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave dice no recuerdar uno choque cerca Des Moines o todos Iowa, pero es posible cuando yo estuvo borracho.

Cuando ellos hablan tambien a Whitmans llamar mi por favor. Yo voy volver.

Luego.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Up North said...

No Dave these were not Iowa bulls, maybe wet backs south of the boarder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home