Tuesday, March 07, 2006

TIRE KICKING 102… GRADE F+
Continued from yesterday’s blog….
Yesterday we went for a test drive. Our old heap is 14 years old and well into 6 digits on the odometer. Every time we hit a bump the car gets better gas mileage for it gets lighter as 4 pounds of rust falls off. Come summer we’ll be driving around with just a steering wheel in hand.

We drove to where the cars are, Rhinelander, WI. Walking into the first dealer and we were pounced on by four salesman all licking the chops. It was like a t-bone steak thrown to the lions.
“Back off boys!” was our first demand, the second was “How about a little breathing room?”

We test drove the first car making a long loop around Rhinelander. The salesman sat in the back seat and kept his verbal pitch going full speed. I couldn’t in get a question. And when I did he had it answered before I finished the question. Actually the car was well designed. It was Honda and I was impressed but the overdone sale pitch turned me cold as did the price tag.

Down the road we went to the next dealership in line… now here was the car I wanted the wife to inspect for it felt right for our needs, a Chrysler Pacifica, a road car with style, something different for us for a change.

I knew the salesman for I had rented him office space when he was pushing insurance. I thought he would cut to the quick… “Let’s make a deal, Monty.” But no…I got better numbers from our local shark... The remainder of the afternoon was spent having the wax blasted from my ears at several other dealers. I thought I was listening to my brother(s). I was very much in need of a bottle of aspirin! Car shopping is a pain.

Talking with my wife on the way home, the cars that we thought would make us less looking like old goats were off our list. Our kids wanted us in a more upbeat vehicle… a sports coup with mag wheels they suggested.

Then I started questioning myself…. Whose car is it going to be anyway?
That’s right… two old goats , here comes a mini van, look out world here come the Jed Klampets

4 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A mini van? You know they're passe now.

With Howie in mind, I'd suggest a reconditioned Pacer! That way you'd be keeping up with the Clampett's.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean that you have struck oil in Hazelhurst and sold the property to Dick Chaney? And you are moving to California with Claire the dog? And no more golf ball tee shots over the lake? And no more chicken cookouts(thank God The Queen is not here - no more bone-in chicken)? And no more sneak outs to play Golden Tee and eat at the Whale? Awwww... I can here Nancy now, "Back off Bud!"

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Up North said...

As they say, ' the wheels go round and round and round. I am not thinking that the new used van is a perfect car, it's a golf cart!
I can fit four guys or a a whoever in with 4 sets of clubs, an over night (make that over week) bag per person plus a cool loaded with either beer or Capt. & Coke, ice optional

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always owned weird cars. no doubt you'll find another.

vans qualify.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home