Friday, May 25, 2007

Gentle people, start your engines…

That’s the call at Indianapolis 500 and off they go round and round. This year their will be three ladies in the field excluding Joann. She didn’t make the field, she got bumped. All the drivers will have crews of eight people changing tires and filling the fuel tanks. Would you like your windshield cleaned? That’ll be 5 bucks.

Then in the area garage each drivers have four or five wrenches fine tuning $150,000 engines and each car has two or three of these. Then add in motel rooms for a month, meals and entertainment and running the Indy race is a little costly – about as much as going to the race as a spectator.

Yesterday, I tried starting my own engine - No good. The engine was on my lawn mower. This is a very low budget thing. Our ultra small yard gets trimmed maybe twice a year, Memorial weekend and Labor day. (if that) I pulled and pulled on the starter cord and not even a sputter.
Out came the spark plug in went the starter fluid and I pulled and pulled, nope not a thing. I would have used the electric starter but the mower is a stripped down $90 model from Fleet Farm. It’s 15 years ago and just try to find parts. It doesn’t owe me a dime but I can see huge dollars in getting the thing running. So I started my car engine heading to Rhinelander looking for another $90 wonder.

Sad to say I may deep six the thing off Freddie’s dock, another fish crib for Lake Minocqua. The next move would be to stop at the newspaper and place a classified ad "Wanted one used goat."

4 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Indy fans. I'm busy getting ready to descend on Hazelhurst. But last night the Travel Channel had a show of best Adult Camps and the Skip Barber Racing School was their #1 choice. Couldn't sleep after that.......the memories had the adrenalin rushing....Guess I better let hc drive up north tonight. See ya at Bosackis?

LotsaHP

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could rent you an old goat cheap if you will pay the transportation fee from Joliet

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good thing about the goat is that if it doesn't work out you will not need to haul it over to Hunt's. It will be time for a Mexican bbq - cabrito for everyone.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old goats never die -- they either stay in Iowa or head for the Equator in search of Allligators or a crockful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home