Friday, March 10, 2006

Writer’s Cramp….

I’m spending the rest of the winter up in the woods, not really doing anything. I could take walk but the snow is now above knee deep headed for an enlarged waist line. Most of our mornings you can cut your breath with a knife and it tickles down deep. Then there is reading to pass the time of day but I’ve read most of my books on the shelf twice. The only one I tried and didn’t get anywhere with was Doctor Atkin’s Diet Book that was a bomb anyway.

I tried pen and ink drawings but it’s going to take sometime getting my eye for things back and I’ve noticed my hand is a bit shakier. So what’s left for those with a little time and a pinch of imagination? Answer… rewriting the great American novel. Several months ago I started on this path. It was a lofty goal and a pretty tough one for someone who took college composition three time before passing with a D+ and I was thankful for that. The only way I passed was getting outside help from Ames, Iowa.

What’s the subject of my novel? Why, growing up in the heartland in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. And if that’s not enough to put one to sleep some of the characters will. It will be quite some time before it’s available at Barnes and Noble for I am having writer’s cramp at the present time, or maybe was it’s last night’s chili?

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your literary effort I read today in the Lakeland Times was excellent. Nicely written--you should be proud!

Now blogging is a different deal.

Writing a book about growing up in the midwest would allow you to cover most of it from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. You'd probably throw in Michigan and Minnesota, but your friends (aka, "the truth squad") would straighten you out. This is "fiction" we're talking about right?

As for winter, I was admonishing the dude in Joliet last night that you and he grab your golf clubs and fishing gear and head south for a little R&R away from winter's monotony. But, my efforts were to no avail.

Golden Tee for golf and Captain Morgan for fishing will have to do I guess.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just switch your tee vee to the Speed channel. the Nextel cup has descended on Vegas this weekend. friday afternoon qualifying LIVE. what more could you ask for? BTW, if perchance you don't have the Speed channel it's about 50 cents a month or about a sixth a Captain.

gentlemen start your engines

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Ecuador the Speed Channel is on any street LIVE!

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor soul!! The dreams of Erle Stanley Gardner being thrashed by out of state and out of mind nay-sayers. Though you walk thru knee deep snow with the words of "Bud, take the dog" echoing (loudly) behind you - stay the course! For you have found a new beginning! A winning team! A bright tomorrow!! Blogging has become your salvation! Amen Bro - you am the best. I agree that the "Clair Saga" lifted from your book was an example of your humble writing skill. Bravo! Ole! and doesn't watching race cars hurt your neck?? That-- is a very good question

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Up North said...

For those that don't subscribe to the Lakeland Times, it's on line with the 2nd part of Claire's story as viewed by her Pop. The good looking Dude is some slug that we like a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home