Thursday, May 03, 2007

Fishing tip of the year...Tackle selection, it improves your catch.

It’s the annual tackle box spring cleaning time and I arrange my stuff by color. Yes, color! There was a guy with a Ph.D. who make a killing selling the concept that fish had a color range in there eyes. That under certain light conditions fish could see different colors better than others.

Yes, this blog today is a fish story for I happened to make a living for few years fishing. Well, not fishing per say but hooking fishermen in purchasing products from the company I worked for, a fishing lure company. We were a very progressive company always ahead of the game in hooking fishermen, marketing 101 all over again.

So let’s think like a fish for a moment…
Geee, it’s cold in these water, am freezing, it’s night - black as sin plus someone messed up these waters, messed-up the muddy bottom, I can’t see a bloody thing… hummmm and I’ve got a tummy ache, got find some dinner.

I want to be caught, but can’t see jack. You’re Jack in the boat with a mess of different tackle. The question is what to use. So you go to this instrument that Doctor Loren invented after months of testing different fish in different light and water conditions and bingo … the instrument tells you - on dark nights, dark waters, low light you use a dark lure… or better yet, you slip a lighted M-80 with a small rock wrapped in aluminum foil over board and seconds later that fish doesn’t have to worry about seeing things or catching dinner for all of a sudden the stars are out as it floats to the surface.

So as to marketing tackle? Make it colorful and hook the fisher-person first, for the fish don’t mind – they are semi mindless as are a few of my dear friends.
Tomorrow night is the OPENER and my tackle box is loaded with M-80’s, they are always biting!

3 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Color coded tackle box? What's next? A color coded closet? Rosebud would be thrilled!

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just my luck the lake I always fish is frequented by visually impaired fish. The concept is probably totally without merit anyway - I mean everyone knows the fish have a code of silence second only to the mafia. You ever heard one speak? (Except of course for the "Incredible Mr. Limpet" featuring Don Knotts as the fish and we all know that was make believe.)

I may try just for the halibut though - what color do you recommend? If I use a plaid lure would that cover all conditions - thus needing only one lure?

Norm

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THey are many colored plaids, I would suggest the black plaid on a black background with black polk-a-dots... this of course would be used at nigh- real stealth. Of course use the flip side during the day white plaid on white with white dots. Also, Ralph from ALbert Lea Mn...sent me this tip " Instead of M-80's when Game Wardens are in ear shot use Cherry Bombs sinkers. They aren't quite as effective but will do less damage to your hand if they go off before sinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home