Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Our kind know it all… 11/22

China had Buddha, we, the town of Hazelhurst, have the Winger, that’s Gene Winger. He’s been a fixture in our town for years. As a lad I use to work for his father and I know for a fact where Gene proper perceptive comes from.
It’s in the Gene’s…

One day I was trying to get a concrete casting from it’s form and it would budge. Gene comes up to me and says, "Don’t force it use a bigger hammer." and he hands me a sludge hammer.

For me from that day forward Gene’s insight has always been on the money. It was a pleasure coming to work each da soaking in his down home wisdom. Even in the evening we were blessed with his sharp eye as he drove the towboat for our water ski shows.

Now years later we are treated to wisdom at a place called Whitman’s in greater downtown Hazelhurst. Not only gems come from him but he has all the towns’ news wanted and unwanted. He’s got the latest scoop on everything and everybody. Gene is our town’s newspaper, radio station and evening TV newscast without commercials.

If you every stop at Whitman’s don’t sit on his stool, as you enter it’s the last on the left and it’s reserved for a very special person. I have to go there regularly for if I don’t they’ll talk about me behind my back, yet I know Gene will straighten the local lagerts. By the bye have a turkey drumstick on me tomorrow!

As for me? I am off tomorrow and come to think of it Friday and the weekend,
I may not even post till Monday,
so suffer my people while the battery is recharged.

5 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't worry family! Three years ago while on a quite [sic] walk on a rain day lightening struck and my negatives went to positives and visa visa. [sic] So in the short term of things everything is long (almost)."

...a blog quote by the woodsman philosopher UPNorth, R.Giles Coleman.

Anonymous blog reader #1:

Anonymous blog reader #2:

Baby Claire: **!!?**

Family member:

Baby Charlotte: }}{{*!!!????*~~

Anonymous blog reader #3:


Pass the mashed potatoes, please.
Happy Thanksgiving, UPNorth.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the entire Coleman crew, which by the way has been growing.
Unfortunately I will not be able to share the banter as the turkey cooks but I can assure you if the opportunity arises do miss it.
I also am of mind to attend a Camp Coleman session between Christmas and New Years. Does anybody no the rate.

Huntski

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving UPNorth.

Ciao from DownSouth.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And, here I thought you were the town philosopher and senior statesman.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God that the Minocqua Police department wes able to free you from that handcuffing, mind-battering, Cuckoo's Nest nurse that had you trapped inside the Thrift Shop, saying she would only release you if you would pwomise(sic) to stop going to Whitmans with your (ahem) friends. I called Gregg Walker and he assured me that he would notify all of his buddies at the MPD and help you escape. Now that you are at ease, have a great Thanksgiving with your Camp Coleman family. Oh, and by the way, it is 67 degees right now down south of Joliet. Toodles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home