Wednesday, December 20, 2006

$635 for 16 hp. 12/20

In 1953 you could walk home carrying an Evinrude Fast Twin outboard for a few bucks. Just think of screwing the new motor onto the transom of your Thompson 14’ Tomboy and ripping across the lake.
It had taken the 2 of us, my brother and I, three years talking Dad into 'investing' in a new boat-motor that would keep his kids off the streets of Minocqua Wis.

In 1963 I purchased my first car for $950 bucks about the same price as the outboard engine.
I still had to hit Pop for a small loan to get my first set of wheels. The car was a 1957 VW with a rubber band motor that would peg the speedometer at 55 mph. That’s going down hill going with a 50 mph wind assisted under full sail (both doors wide open.)

I some how have a nick for winding up with either a boat, car or motorcycle that were well under powered. Another example was a Mercury two-door hardtop that yelled from the car lot, " BUY ME!" It was bright red with a ton of chrome. What a hustle car! So I signed the papers without a test drive nor looking at the sticker.

If I had, I would have noticed that this great looking car only had an inline 6 cylinder engine and an automatic tranny. I did look good driving off the lot and rolling down the street at 35 mph. Also you had to push down the highway. The only cars that I could over take on the roads were old Buicks driven by elderly white hairs.

I first time I tried to pass another car I pull out, pressed the pedal and the tranny downshifted. Due to the lack of horsepower the car would slow down. Now years later I still drive slow motion cars but look good behind the wheel, I wear a mask. However, I have a friend who just purchased a rocket ship and has a kick burning rubber. I have vowed to do the same on my next set of wheels... miles per gallon be damned.

Today's thought...

" It you want your track team to win the high jump, you find a person that can clear 7 foot not seven people that can clear one foot."

3 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet that Evinrude lasted just one season. That's about how long ours lasted as we dragged good ol' dad off to the annual Chicago boat show. The good news was that he loved buying boats and stuff. The bad news was we loved using [destroying] them since we knew another boat show would soon be at hand.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daily Thoughts for the Day-no wait, make that moment-- are really making my head spin.

Is that an intentional act on your part?

Because, it isn't, that's quite a skill and talent you have there.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wisdom, old Confucius North.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home