Tuesday, March 27, 2007

New and Improved 3/27

It takes some time to get use to new things. Our car’s owners manual is as thick as the Old Testament and about as much fun to read as well. I’ve gotten to the part where I now know how to turn off the windshield wipers. It’s the same with my golf club, the driver. Right when I think a can hit the thing out comes a new and improved model which I just have to have or be laugh off the course. Last year I finely learned to select and set stations on the car radio and it became time to turn the car in on a new and improved model, same deal.

I was in the appliance store yesterday kicking tires on one of the new high definition wide screen TV’s with built in programs and zip-out commercials. The remote control had more buttons that the control panel than on a NASA spacecraft. I just pray to God that our old TV doesn’t have a hissy fit and stay in the running order till I finish by mail order course in Electrical Engineering from MIT.

Even then it would take months of nightly study before I had the nerve to turn one of those things on. The ultimate was last fall when I turn on my electronic fish locator and up on the screen popped my dental work, something was amiss.

I am not alone on this one even my ‘younger’ brother came away from his new TV itching his head and mumbling. These new electronic whiz bangs all needs either words of caution
"Anyone older than 30 will be fined for the use of this unit"
or as a part of sale on these things we should receive a two week training course at an Area Technical College and the geek squad to parked in our living rooms for a year.

So on we advance in a world of marvelous inventions while many of us are left in the dust scratching something other than our heads. If it’s something other than an "on/off’ button…I don’t care.

2 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you don't mind that your VCR is flashing either. Or is that old school now too?

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Up North said...

What's a VCR? They lost me with dail phones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home